[mrtg] MRTG/RRDTOOL integration

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 31 02:36:14 CET 2008

You might want to take another look at routers2, as it has alot of additional customisation available for people who want to use it in different ways.

Firstly, it supports authentication and authorisation, so you can have multiple users who have visibility of different subsets of .cfg files (this helps in the integration of multiple MRTG instances you mention).

Secondly, it has 'distributed MRTG' support, which means you can have MRTG running on multiple servers, but with one integrated frontend (it hands off between servers as and when necessary).  This is a bit more complex to implement but we are running it here with no problem.

Thirdly, if you need to extract just the images (for example, as graphs embedded in a different web page, or as popups on a weathermap) then it has a mode to achieve this (add '&page=image' to the graph URL) without the surrounding pages and frames.

I think that (particularly the second) these might well cover your missing requirements.  However, if you have any more specific problems, then feel free to email me directly or post to the routers2 forum at www.steveshipway.org/forum to ask if a specific thing can be done.  The HOWTO document as shipped with routers2 also has a lot of helpful information.

Steve (author of routers2 so of course slightly biased)