[mrtg] Bandwidth of entire Switch

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue May 6 21:30:24 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 14:42 -0400, Joel A Savage wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have mrtg installed/running and polling all of my switches however I
> can only seem to get it to poll all the ports in a switch to separate
> graphs.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction on how to setup a config file to
> give me 1 graph of bandwidth that the entire switch is using instead of
> a graph for each individual port?

At the risk of seeming to ask a silly question, why?
Most switches today have loss-less fabrics, meaning you can run all
interfaces at line rate and not saturate the backplane.  So.. what value
is there to monitoring a number that is irrelevant?

That said, use rrdtool as the backend, routers2.cgi as the front end,
and create a summary graph of all the interfaces on the switch.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy