[mrtg] Performance

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Nov 19 20:56:30 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 21:33 +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> you have to create a single large mrtg.cfg file and run one
> instance of mrtg with the forks option in the cfg file.

It's not the only option, but probably the safest and
simplest for someone claiming to be a newbie.

I prefer to run several instances of MRTG, in daemon mode,
under control of a launcher script in /etc/init.d/.  This
won't necessarily suit all circumstances, but I find it
useful because it allows adding or updating configurations
for specific clusters of targets without either interrupting
the rest of the monitoring or killing everything with a typo.

I've just checked one of our network-monitoring boxes, and
found 49 instances of MRTG covering over 5000 targets.

/Niall