[mrtg] MRTG graph problem, more than 100M

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 17:12:25 CET 2009

On February 27, 2009 2:08 am kosala senevirathna wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our MRTG graph not shoving traffic more than 120M. I found some comments
> to this problem as below from MRTG site.
>
> 1. change default collector size from 32bit to 64bit.
>
> How to do this configuration? Is it in switch or mrtg?

You query for a different MIB value, one that uses 64-bit counters instead
of 32-bit counters.  For example, the ifHC* variables are 64-bit.  Try the
following command against one of your systems:
  snmpwalk -v 2c -c <communitystring> <server> ifHC

That will show you all the 64-bit counters for packets in and packets out.

You'll also need to enable SNMP v3 support in MRTG (EnableSnmpV3: yes), and
add :::::2 to the end of the Target[]: for each one that uses the 64-bit
counters.

So, if you have the following in your config file:
  Target[server]: ifInOctets.2&ifOutOctets.2:public at server

Change it to:
  Target[server]: ifHCInOctets.2&ifHCOutOctets.2:public at server:::::5

--
Freddie
fjwcash at gmail.com