[mrtg] New MRTG install... Run as Daemon and RRD setup?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 27 23:49:21 CEST 2010

From my recent performance tests, I’d say the benefits of using daemon mode (particularly if you’re using it in conjunction with RRDTool 1.4.x and its memory-mapped IO) far outweigh any configuration headaches.  It is far more efficient in disk IO, the only headaches being that (a) you cannot control the sequence or precise timing of the individual checks, (b) you need to tune the number of Forks: appropriately for your system’s capacity, and (c) you need to restart the daemon if you change the config files.
To get around (c) I’ve been working on a patch for MRTG that forces a re-read if the cfg file has been modified but this has not yet been submitted.
I really think you’re overestimating the network load of the SNMP checks.  We’re running a few thousand cheks every 5 min here and we’re not coming close to the 100Mb network capacity.
Steve
Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand