[mrtg] Puppet and Augeas -- anyone using these?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 4 09:41:29 CET 2011

Is anyone out there using Puppet, and/or Augeas to maintain text files?

I've been working on an Augeas lens file for maintaining MRTG .cfg files and the Routers2 routers2.conf file.  They are both working to a point now, but I just need to start on the Puppet Module for MRTG to complete the set.  This will also help considerably forpeople contemplating a distributed MRTG configuration as Puppet can take care of maintaining the various files in sync.

Is anyone out there interested in trying these out, or has anyone already started along this route?

I've also made a Puppet NRPE module that uses the existing nrpe.cfg lens file for Augeas to maintain the NRPE configuration, which I can now tie in with the MRTG configuration (since MRTG can use the NRPE agent to collect metrics) but that's maybe getting a bit ambitious for now...

When they're all done, I'll submit the lens file to Tobi for consideration to be added to the MRTG package.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead