[mrtg] Distributed MRTG Polling

Darren Murphy darren at victoriajd.com
Fri Dec 21 10:16:32 CET 2012

Hi list :)

I'm curious to know what the recommended approach is to setting up a
distributed instance of MRTG.

My situation is as follows:

I'm polling ~2500 nodes spread throughout various parts of the globe,
but mostly in Asia and the Middle East.
Currently, these are all polled from a single MRTG instance, located
in Singapore.
About 200 of the nodes are in China, and recently I've been seeing
intermittent connectivity to several of my China nodes, which has been
resulting in timeouts and data gaps.

To overcome this, I'm toying with the idea of setting up a separate
MRTG instance in China (I have access to a hosting facility), and have
this poll the China nodes and send the data back to the main MRTG
instance in Singapore.
And I was considering using rsync to transfer the data.
I don't really see any reason why this won't work - as far as I can
see the only real gotcha is that I'll need to ensure that my main MRTG
instance stops trying to poll these hosts - otherwise I'll have data
being clobbered.

So my question - does this seem like a reasonable approach, or are
there better ways to do this?
Any advice/comments gratefully accepted.

thanks,
Darren