[mrtg] sysName persistence across reboot?

Christian clefranc at diffusionfermont.ca
Fri Oct 3 15:00:16 CEST 2014

Hi,

I apologize in advance if my question is not relevant to this mailing list.
It's not about mrtg functionality but general SNMP protocol.

I just want to know if there is a standard or specification that dictates
SNMP objects persistence after a reboot. Specifically the sysName,
sysLocation and sysContact. I've come across some devices that reset these
to their default factory value after each reboot.

Is this a common behavior? How many devices like that have you seen? What's
your experience with sysName, etc.?

Thank you

Christian