[rrd-users] Re: RRD usage and disk I/O

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Sat Aug 4 21:47:32 MEST 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 12:53:17PM +0200, Michael Heiming wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm currently developing a RRD/MRTG solution, my problem is, running
> MRTG/RRD from cron, that with about 20 machines at the moment and
> around 20 .rrd files per target, the load gets pretty high, while
> opening all those small files.

Try switching to a smaller number of files per target with multiple
DSes per RRD file, this may improve performance.  (No guarantee, but I
think it will substantially reduce the number of disk writes and of
course directory accesses.)

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau