[rrd-users] Illegal Attempt to Update, v2

Thomas Franchetti thomas at ripe.net
Thu Feb 8 16:24:04 MET 2001

hi tobi!

 Tobias Oetiker <oetiker at ee.ethz.ch> writes:
 *
 * Today Brian E. Seppanen wrote:
 *
 *  |
 *  | > Perhaps some system's time is wrong?
 *  |
 *  | That appears to be exactly the problem.  Thank you, my brain never would
 *  | have wrapped itself around that this morning.  I never would have thought
 *  | it would boot with the time that far off.  ntpdate fixed it.
 *  | Again, thanks,
 *
 * which proofs that it is a good thing that rrdtool refuses to jump
 * around in time :-)
 *
 * tobi

in this case... ;-)

i am monitoring bgp updates using rrdtool to visualise this. but it's neccessary to re-insert data sometimes (eg it data arrives late or because of some insertion delays, ...)

it would be nice to go back to a definite time starting inserting data again. i'm not thinking about working around this security feature ;-) but i think it would be nice if there where a new command like 'rrdtool goback myrrd.rrd -86400' to erase last day's data in order to refill it again.

how about adding this feature to rrdtool?

ciao tom