[rrd-users] Beginner question regarding RRA's

Stephen sdk at shell.yuck.net
Sun Jan 7 22:05:17 MET 2001

After reading the docs there's one thing that confuses me: the RRA
consolidate functions and steps specification.  Some of the examples I see
have only a '1' for the number of steps.  So for example, the RRD that
approximates MRTG:

# DS:COUNTER:86400:U:U
# DS:COUNTER:86400:U:U
# RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
# RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600
# RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:600
# RRA:MAX:0.5:6:600
# RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:600
# RRA:MAX:0.5:24:600
# RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:732
# RRA:MAX:0.5:288:732

What's the difference between the first AVERAGE and MAX definitions?
Don't they record the same data because there's nothing to max or find the
average of?  Does the necessity to record both average and max RRA's come
into play when graphing?

Thanks!