[rrd-users] Re: strange beavior

Un L'Unique un at pebble.2y.net
Sun Feb 3 10:53:42 MET 2002

> Yesterday Un L'Unique wrote:
>

> > Some data sundenly gone...
> >
> > While searching what happend to my "lost data" I discover something
strange:
> > 1) it is possible to fetch NaN data prior to creation base or --start
time
> > eg rrdtool fetch --start 19900101  pebble_Cpu.rrd AVERAGE
> >
> > 2) rrdtool dump generate xml file containing very old ( 1997) NaN data.
> >
> > Bug or misunderstanding ?
>
> Well, mrtg contains a datastore of constant lenght. If you define
> an RRA of 2 years length, and have a start time of "now" the
> 'newest' data in the RRA will be 'now' and the 'oldest' from two
> years ago ... as rrdtool does not know the data from 2 years ago it
> is set to 'unknown'
Well I find this surprising: why does rrdtool agreed to give me answer for
something before the --start time ?
Anayway, my database is 1 year lenght and I am able to fetch from 1990. I
also got data from 1997 in the dump makeing it very large. ( after removing
pre 2002 line, le dump shrink from 500MB to 11MB )

Un