[rrd-users] Calculating availability (percent) from rrdtool fetch

Michael Heiming michael at heiming.de
Sun May 5 21:19:30 MEST 2002

Hello,

need to measure availibility with mrtg/rrd, setup mrtg, running with
logformat:rrdtool to measure system.sysUpTime.0.

Dividing (Timeticks) with 30000,it should give me 1 timetick = 5min
since last reboot, as the .rrd(s) are updated every five minutes, that
sounds (at least to me) reasonable. Sadly the .rrd automagically
created by mrtg don't contain MIN values, should I setup some on my
own (using rrdtool create <..>)? Will mrtg update them without any
problems?

Or should I stick with the data I have, count those nan (assuming the
target was down) and calculate the availability (percent for a given
time) from here.

If someone has a hint/idea, or allready done something like this, it
would be great to hear from you!

Thanks for reading

Michael Heiming