[rrd-users] An example of the use of --template in rrdupdate please ?

Thu Aug 28 06:29:06 MEST 2003

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Would some kind soul please post an example of the use of the --template
option to the rrdupdate command ?

I had thought that with an RRD containing DSs named (a, b, c, d) in that
sequence that

rrdupdate .. --template=d:c:b:a N:D:C:B:A

would update

DS d with value D
DS c with value C
DS b with value B and
DS a with value A

however, it seems that what is happening is that the DSs are updated
in the same order as the position of the update value in the update
string (ie an update string of N:u1:u2:u3 updates DS 1 [a in this
example] with u1, DS 2 [b] with u2 and so on).

So with the rrdupdate above, the DSs are updated like

DS a with value D
DS b with value C
DS c with value B and
DS a with value A

What should I expect to see ?

After reading the FM, I thought the former interpretation correct (ie
that the template specifies the order of the update) but practise leads
me to think the latter.

(RRDtool 1.0.41  Copyright 1997-2000 by Tobias Oetiker
<tobi at oetiker.ch>, from the FreeBSD packages).

I will check my code but I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.