[rrd-users] Re: counter or absolute

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Dec 26 09:55:27 MET 2003

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Chitman Kaur wrote:

> I used DERIVE ds for CRCs since I wanted to see spikes when there is increase in CRC... Now on the y axis I am getting valies like 1.2 m .... etc ...
> Now as you said Change_in_CRC / Time interval = 1.2 ..... my time interval is 5 minutes.... so how much is the change in CRC in the interval of 5 mins.... As far as what I understansd it should be a numeric value.....but (5*1.2)/1000 = 0.006
> Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at ergens.op.het.net> wrote:

If I am not mistaken the maths go:

1.2m average per 5 minutes ==> 0.0012 * 5 * 60 ==> 0.36 changed in 5
minutes.

Wether or not calculating changes on a CRC errors is relevant is hard to
say. On most networks anything other then 0 is something I would not find
acceptable at all.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.