[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool info

Fernando Nieto nieto.f at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 17:24:11 MET 2004

Hi Ilo,

I'm afraid you cannot get the information you need from "rddtool
info". This command gives you information about how your RRD database
is built, and that is very important of course.

Your datafile has 3 datasources using a 5 minutes step:

- ifInOctets is COUNTER, min: 0, max: 100M, heartbeat: 900 sec.
- ifOutOctets is COUNTER, min: 0, max: 100M, heartbeat: 900 sec.
- ifOperStatus is GAUGE, min: 0, max: 100, heartbeat: 900 sec.

Also you have 12 RRAs, 4 within an AVERAGE consolidation function, 4
within a MIN consolidation function and 4 within a MAX consolidation
function. Every of these 4 RRAs store the following number of
samples/time range:

- 2304 rows, 300 seconds CF --> 8 days
- 1536 rows, 30 minutes CF (6*300) --> 32 days
- 2268 rows, 2 hours CF (24*300) --> 189 days (6 months)
- 1890 rows, 1 day CF (288*300) --> 1890 days (5 years)

Depending on which averages you need for your monthly reports you will
need to ask your RRD file for the appropiate RRA, take into account
the amount of time your data is stored in your RRD and the data
accuracy.

Hope this help you,

Regards,
Fernando