[rrd-users] Re: Y Axis Label Precision Question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jun 17 20:06:45 MEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:23:29PM -0500, Steve Robb wrote:

> Valid point - however (and I admit I didn't include the entire 'rrdtool
> graph' statement), the rate that the files are being retrieved is in the
> range of 10 - 15 files per hour and the graph that I'm generating is an
> hourly rate so the number of files that I download per hour is still an
> integer.

I'm sure that if you're doing the math, the average rate will not be
an integer.

> I'm accumulating statistics every 5 minutes but graphing the data as
> though it was an hourly rate. Is there a better way to do this? (Like
> accumulate statistics every hour?)

Perhaps yes.  At the end of the hour, insert an integer.

But then:  Say you're going to graph 800 hours on 400 pixels.  The number
of files in two hours is an odd number, say 33.  What is the number of
files per hour in that case?

Doing 16.5 files per hour is not 16 nor 17 files per hour.  RRDtool
is designed to show 16.5

As a debugging process: collect some input values including the time you
insert them in RRDtool.  Replay the data and see what each update
does to the database.  Do the calculations yourself, and cross check this
with what RRDtool is doing to the database.

cheers,
Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If