[rrd-users] Re: Funky MRTG message

Fruitman, Corey Corey.Fruitman at allstream.com
Wed May 19 21:34:14 MEST 2004

Your polling is taking longer than the interval you've set to call MRTG in cron (probably five minutes).  It's possible that your system is under heavy load during certain periods, slowing the polling and updates of the RRDs or logs.  When cron tries to launch another instance of MRTG at the next interval, you get that message, which means that the previous instance of MRTG hasn't finished yet.  It's also possible that you just have a really big config file that takes a long time to poll.

Any of the following should help:
- Lower the timeout, retry, and/or backoff
- Add forks
- Split the config into smaller chunks and call them separately
- Run MRTG as a daemon instead of calling it from cron.  MRTG has to parse your config file every time it's called from cron.  If you run it as a daemon, it's only parsed once.

Hope that helps,
Corey.