[rrd-users] I just want to merge two files, really.

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 20:46:27 MET 2004

I've scoured the mailing list archives and googled every relevant term
I can think of to no avail. No one's written or posted *specific*
instructions on how to merge two rrd files. All I've found are very
vague instructions and/or demands of payment to write a tool.

Thankfully I don't need a tool - just a successful procedure to merge
file1.rrd and file2.rrd into file3.rrd.    The first file is traffic
usage for the past two weeks on an old switch. The second file is the
current traffic usage on the new switch. I need to merge the two. I've
tried dumping to xml, appending the second file to the first
xml file, then restoring. Doesn't work. Then I tried just sticking the
second files <database> information inside the first files <database>
and that returns NaN on everything.

Simply, what do I need to grep from the second file and where do I
insert it in the first file to create the mythical "merged RRD" file
creature?

this seems much harder than it should...

Thanks,
aaron.glenn