[rrd-users] Zero to unknown (or another solution)

ppostmus at gmail.com ppostmus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:19:13 MEST 2005

Hello,

I collect network traffic with SNMP from all active ports on a number of
switches. I have created a script that will automatically add RRD files if
additional ports need to be polled. Polling is done every 5 minutes, and
the graphs are created subsequently. The script also creates a graph based
on traffic from all ports.

However, whenever additional RRDs are created, the total graph starts all
over again, because the most recent RRD file does not contain any prior
data. This is interpreted as unknown by rrdgraph.

I have modified the script so that all unknown values are converted to
zeros, but this creates two other problems:
- If the graph start time is prior to data collected in any RRD, this will
be interpreted as 0 (altering the average value of the graph)
- Since the last number in the DS is always unknown, the last value of the
graph is always 0.

Converting 0 back to unknown, after all the data has been added would
probably solve the problems. I have tried this by modifying the script,
but so far without success:

CDEF:inCorr=in,0,EQ,UNKN,inCorr,IF
CDEF:outCorr=out,0,EQ,UNKN,outCorr,IF

Any ideas?