[rrd-users] Re: Data not entering RRD, only "nan" values

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Jun 16 02:48:36 MEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 11:09:17PM +0100, BigglesZX wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to graph packet and byte counts from iptables, but all I
> get is "nan" in the RRD.
>
> I used this command to create the RRD:
>
> > rrdtool create chatter.rrd --start N DS:packets:GAUGE:60:0:U DS:bytes:GAUGE:60:0:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:720

Where did you get "--start N" from ?

Why those "...GE:60:..." ?

> > rrdtool update chatter.rrd N:$packets:$bytes

Using "N:" every 60 seconds _approximately_ together with a
heartbeat of 60 ???  Where did you get this idea?

For all of the above comments:  I am _not_ saying it is wrong per se.
But you should be able to defend your choices.  If you cannot, it is
because you did not understand what you are asking rrdtool to do. And
thus rrdtool may be doing something different than you expect. This
in turn may very well be why you do not get the results you expect.

> Whenever I try to generate a graph, with the following for example:
>
> > rrdtool graph chatter.png -t "ResNet Chatter Data" DEF:Packets=chatter.rrd:packets:AVERAGE
>
> I get the "0x0" "I'm not playing" message, and no graph. When I use

You are _not_ creating a graph.  That is not because something goes wrong,
unless you consider the problem between keyboard and chair.  Compare your
command against any(!) of the examples creating images.

> I've been poking away at this for hours and I can't figure out what's
> wrong - why the data isn't going in. If anyone could shed any light on
> this it would be much appreciated!

Try the tutorials, the information on my site and the documentation.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/