[rrd-users] Re: Problems displaying load

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Sat May 20 18:41:34 MEST 2006

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 11:39:54PM +1000, Darryl Lewis wrote:
> Perhaps there was a 'spike' in the data that set the max to a crazy figure. If you know the maximum possible, set that as a limit in the rrd.

Nope, no spikes... the values being graphed are all correct, it's just
the numbers in the legends that are off.

And there really is no "maximum" possible... in general, you want the
load to stay at or below the number of processors you have, but there's
nothing in the world stopping it from climbing much higher.  One of my
machines went up to around 150 under a heavy spam attack once :-)

I'm guessing that maybe MRTG / RRDTool is doing some kind of math on the
numbers.  I thought that using "gauge" would prevent that, but...