[rrd-users] Re: How are --start and --end supposed to behave?

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jan 22 10:50:52 MET 2007

Tobias Oetiker tobi-at-oetiker.ch |Lists| wrote:
>> Returning a row after $end_time is a new issue and should probably be
>> seen as a bug.
>
> note that the design goal of fetch is to return enough data to
> 'covert' at least the interval covered with start-end, if a little
> more data is returned there is no harm done ...

Of course, compared to the rest of life, there is no harm done whatever
happens with --start and --end! :D

Tobi, it seems you disagree with Alex that the current behaviour is
buggy. If the two of you disagree, well no wonder I'm confused!

If there is some reason I don't understand that you'd like the freedom
to change this behaviour, and therefore would prefer to leave it
undocumented?

I don't mind submitting a .pod patch e.g. to doc/rrdfetch.pod
documenting the current behaviour, if that is what we should stick with.
Something along the lines of Alex's examples.

For my script to break for unpredictable and undocumented reasons - well
that *is* some small harm to me, because my script needs the data from
exactly the N last good samples, not N-1 or N+1. And until I discovered
the '+1' trick I didn't know how to do that.

Would such a documentation patch be considered?

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com