[rrd-users] Make just stops when compiling on Solaris 10 x86

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Jan 26 15:41:24 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 09:07:54PM +0000, Jonathan Armitage wrote:

> And this is what happened:
>
> -bash-3.00$ make
> sed 's,@''exec_prefix@,/usr/local/bin,'  > cgi-demo.cgi
> ^C
> *** cgi-demo.cgi removed.
>
> It hangs waiting for input the same as before. But:
>
> -bash-3.00$ gmake
> sed 's,@''exec_prefix@,/usr/local/bin,' cgi-demo.cgi.in > cgi-demo.cgi
>
> works correctly.
>
> So it looks like Solaris make is not figuring out how to make a .cgi
> from a .in. The suffix rules not working correctly?

"$<" does not seem to work.  Perhaps this is not implemented in sun's
make, at least not the version you have?

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/make_utility.html#3cd

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Automatic-Variables.html#index-g_t_0024_003c-924

> Serves me right for not typing gmake in the first place.

no comment :)

Slightly off topic (not rrdtool specific):

Using "$<" is nice for example for *.c files which include *.h files:

target:   source.c include.h
     $(CC) $< -o $@

Here you want to rebuild target if source.c changed and/or if include.h
changed, but you only want to list source.c on the command line for cc.

target:   source.c include.h

would result in "cc source.c -o target"

whereas

target:   source.c include.h

would result in "cc source.c include.h -o target"

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/