[rrd-users] Is it possible to create the rrd database by reading from a file?

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Sat May 19 04:56:47 CEST 2007

  I guess it would help to understand what exactly you're trying to
graph, and how you expect it to look.  If your value isn't numeric,
how will it know where to place the value in your graph with respect
to the Y axis ?
  As for your questions:
1) see above
2) the --step parameter indicates how far apart RRDTool expects the
timestamps to be, so as you have it currently, you'd need a --step of
'1', which I've never tried.  Also, your DS does not appear to be
defined properly.  See
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html
 for more detail and formatting.  As well, the --start parameter
expects a unix timestamp, although it can be any number as long as
subsequent updates are within range.  In your case, your --start would
have to be '1' as well.
2b) see above URL for detail on defining an RRA as well. Although, I'm
not sure what you'd be defining in your RRA if your values are
non-numeric

   RRDTool required A LOT of reading and patience on my part in order
to get familiar with it, and I still consider myself a newb.  Lots of
google searching to find examples helped as well, so you may wish to
go that route to see if anyone else has tried something similar to
what you're trying.

David