[rrd-users] error experienced while installing rrdtool 1.3 beta

Andreas Maus a.maus at science-computing.de
Mon Sep 10 17:25:42 CEST 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:08:32PM +0530, Sattish Vaasudevan wrote:
> Dear Sir,
Hi.

> Herewith i attached the error prompted while installing rrdtool 1.3 beta
At first, rrdtool 1.3 is _BETA_ so I guess it is not a good advice
to use this version in a production environment!

> Platform : RedHAt Linux Rel 3
What do you mean with RH Release 3? Fedora Core 3?
RedHat Enterprise 3? RedHat Enterprise 4 Update 3?
(And if you use Enterprise what "flavor" do you use?
ES? AS? WS? )

> Find 3rd-Party Libraries
> checking for cairo_font_options_create in -lcairo... yes
> checking cairo.h usability... no
> checking cairo.h presence... no
> checking for cairo.h... no
> checking for pkg-config... pkg-config
> configure: WARNING:
> * I found a copy of pkgconfig, but there is no cairo-png.pc file around.
>   You may want to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to point to its
>   location.
>
> configure: WARNING:
> * I could not find a working copy of cairo-png. Check config.log for
> hints on why
>   this is the case. Maybe you need to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
> appropriately
>   so that compiler and the linker can find libcairo and its header
> files. If
>   you have not installed cairo-png, you can get it either from its
> original home on
>
>      http://cairographics.org/releases/
>
>   You can find also find an archive copy on
>
>      http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/libs
>
>   The last tested version of cairo-png is 1.4.6.
>
>        LIBS=-lm
>    LDFLAGS=
>   CPPFLAGS=

[... snipp ...]

It just means what it said.
It is likely that you don't have cairo installed on your system.
Or it is not installed correctly. If you run

pkg-config --list-all

you should see a this line:

[... snipp ...]
cairo                 cairo - Multi-platform 2D graphics library
[... snipp ...]

If you have installed cairo to some "weird" location (like /usr/local/cairo/<version>)
you may set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH and make sure you include
the correct paths in the variables CPPFLAGS and/or LDFLAGS.

If you don't have cairo installed ... well you have to install it ;)

As said above I think you should not use the beta version of 1.3 (which svn
snapshot did you use anyway ?) on a productive system.

Use 1.2.x instead. I had no problems compiling this version under RHEL4U3
on x86,x86_64 and ia64.

HTH,

Andreas.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Maus             science+computing ag
System Administration               Hagellocher Weg 73