[rrd-users] rrd insert problem

Andreas Maus a.maus at science-computing.de
Tue Jun 3 14:25:05 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 05:15:35AM -0700, mobi wrote:
> hi,
Hi.

> /usr/local/rrd/bin/rrdtool update /usr/local/rrd/db/host1/test.rrd N:1239
> and i get no error on insert, but when i look in the graph or dump the rrd
> this also doesnt happen all the time, but only some time with no pattern.
> anyone has a clue what can it be ?
Time drift? I've seen something like that on systems with a unstable
system clock and without ntp.

Try using the correct time (date +'%s' on Linux) instead of N.
e.g.:

now=`date +'%s'`
rrdtool update [...] ${now}:[...]

(and check the values of $now)
and of course run ntp to keep your system time stable.

HTH,

Andreas.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Maus             science+computing ag
System Administration               Hagellocher Weg 73