[rrd-users] Sizing of RRD Files

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Mon Nov 10 17:31:50 CET 2008

This will vary from os to os (bytes per variable) and from setup to setup
(amount of DSes in your RRD).

Create a test rrd file. Note its size. shrink the rrd file by one row. Note
its size. Subtract, now you know the size per row.

The actual file size will be more than n*rowsize. This is because of the
file header. It is relatively small under normal circumstances.

5 minutes per row, 2 years: (365+366)*86400/300=210528. One entry for each
DS, being 6 or 8 bytes.  Some 1.3 to 1.7 MB per DS should be right, unless I
made a mistake here.