[rrd-users] creating a rrd database with specific RRAs

grewskee mmcgrew at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 21:15:43 CEST 2010

All,

I have read the documentation several times as well as several examples
given out on the internet, and I am still having a hard time understanding
the formulas for creating the RRAs in a RRD db.

I have the following scenario, and am wondering if/how I could do this:

1. End goal is to graph the memory usage for a machine (free, cached, etc).
I understand how to create the DS's.  I am using a step of 5 minutes (300
seconds).  I only want to store a maximum of 3 days worth of data, as shown
below.

2. I would like to have graphs for:

Hourly (1 minute average)
Daily (5 minute average)
3 days (30 minute average)

3. For each of the above, I would also like to have the ability to determine
the MAX value as well.

Can anyone attempt to explain the formula needed to convert the above into
RRAs?

Thanks in advance.