[rrd-users] problem with more than one dot in file name?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Feb 23 09:11:49 CET 2010

Hi Carsten,

Today Carsten Aulbert wrote:

> Hi Tobi
>
> On Tuesday 23 February 2010 08:51:41 Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > the problem is with the vname not with the filename ...
> >
> > try
> >
> > DEF:ds_user_num2_run=/tmp/user.num2.rrd:slots:AVERAGE
>
> d'oh... it was too late (yesterday), when I composed the original email with
> the wrong sender address...
>
> > > Is this a bug or a feature or me being stupid ;)
>
> the latter :(
>
> Yes, that works.
>
> Tobi, is there a deeper reason why dots are disallowed there?

the reason for limiting the characterset of vnames is to
simplify parsing CDEF expressions (no , for example) and for future
enhancements. At the moment, allowing the . would not hurt, but it
would prevent us from using it for something more useful in the
future or we would have to come up with more backslash escapes
which do not help either ...

cheers
tobi