[rrd-users] Locking *read* (copy/backup) of RRD files?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 25 23:51:30 CEST 2010

> I'd like to be able to make backups of RRD files while Nagios is
> happily writing data to them. From what I've read so far,

This could be a good application of rrd cache chaining, if I can get it working well.  This would allow you to set up your rrdcached to chain to another local rrdcached which holds the backup; everything writes via the first rrdcached.  If you want to backup, you kill the secondary, backup the files, and restart it.

The trouble with this is that the rrdcached chaining code (1) gets upset if the remote rrdcached disappears, and (2) is not yet mature enough to go into trunk.

It might be better to add an 'rrdtool copy' function that locks the RRD and copies the file for backup?

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 924 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail