[rrd-users] RRDtool spread values by time on rrd, how to turn off this behavior?

Daniel Hilst danielhilst at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 05:10:24 CEST 2012

On 04/18/2012 10:35 AM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Today Daniel Hilst wrote:
>
>> Hey tobias, I'm using collectd tail plugin to monitor Oracle database logs,
>> matching ORA- errors. When I got one error at 1334578215 for example, on graph
>> I'll see 0.5 error at 1334578210 and 0.5 error at 1334578220 -- Remember that
>> collectd uses 10 as step, so while generating graph I just multiply the value
>> collected by 10. -- 0.5 error is not something readable, so I round epoch on
>> rrdtool plugin to get an integer number, avoiding the interpolation.
>
> you may want to setup an RRD with 'ABSOLUTE' consolidation, then
> rrdtool will store the error 'rate' which is what you probably want
>
> cheers
> tobi

Hey tobias, Thanks again for your reply,

The weird thing is that, this time, I'm not trying to see a rate, but
how many and when this errors ocurr. I'm using cacti with a lot of other
graphs. On this ORA- errors graph I can see peaks when something bad
happens. Using zoom feature from I can get peak hour and minute and see
how many erros happen. Any way, ABSOLUTE consolidation is new for me --
rrdtool as a whole is -- I though thay was only AVERAGE, MAX, MIN and
LAST ones. I'll study  ABSOLUTE with care, it may be what I want

[]'s