[rrd-users] Newby questions

Pablo Chacin pchacin at sensefields.com
Tue Oct 30 08:35:51 CET 2012

On 10/30/2012 07:35 AM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> yes ... and thus, if you build a sum over all the entries, the most
> correct solution is that the SUM is also unknown. RRDtool has the
> option of ignoring the unknown entries using the TOTAL function
> (which will cause them to essentially be treated as 0).
Unfortunately, I can do this only when retrieving data, in a VDEF,
not in a CDEF to be actually stored that way, right?

By the way, can I use VDEF in a export? from documentation it is
not evident when VDEF are allowed.

Finally, as this requirement comes frequently, will you eventually
consider to incorporate TOTAL (or SUM) CDEF a feature of RRDTools?

Thanks

--
Pablo Chacin
R&D Engineer