[rrd-users] [unsure] max DS per rrd file

David Thornton northdot9 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 19:59:22 CEST 2013

I try to group the collection in logical units: 15 sql vars per host -> 1
file. 25 smtp variables per host -> 1 file. 1500 hosts? 3000 files. Each
host writes two files. It spreads well.

Later I move those files centrally and start "looking" at
them. Separating collection from reporting is big. There is a trade off,
making the collection nice and light , my reporting is has more latency in
it, both in the time before I get data, and the complexity and time to
compose the report. google "olap versus oltp".

David Thornton