[rrd-users] rrdtool graph: COMMENT and empty lines(lf) - comprehension question

Daniel Schlifka schlifka at geekpit.org
Wed Oct 30 19:59:42 CET 2019

Hi,

I have a little comprehension question, i'm still struggling/fighting
with rrdtool graph.
Today i tried to create an empty line within the plotted graphs
legend(to separate two lines of text optically).
Following older ML records and StackOverflow Threads i found some
variants to achieve that.
i.e. "COMMENT:\n" && COMMENT:" " && COMMENT:"\n" && COMMENT:"\s\n"

Unfortunately none of these worked for me. I tried in different
variations without success.

What interestingly did the trick was:
COMMENT:"\t\n"

So here's the question - is the related to how COMMENT handle strings?
Are linebreaks considered as part of the string or does COMMENT fail
because it considers the 0x0a as terminator and therefore not part of
the string(unlike tab) and "believes" there is nothing to print?

Another theory would be this has nothing to do with rrdtool but is
caused by some bash-expansion.

Not sure what i'm after here, but it's a bit frustrating. The
Documentation doesn't answer this(or i'm just to stupid to ask the right
question).
Can somebody enlighten me a bit?

Thanks in advance.

kind regards,