[rrd-users] How to graph slow changing counters

Thorsten Erdmann thorsten at trektech.de
Mon Mar 30 15:34:57 CEST 2020

Hi Simon,

you are right (and I know) that with such a low resolution it is difficult to draw sensefull data. But I want to understand what RRD does. I think the aggregation is wrong:

If I sample the data every 5 minutes (1/12h) and get a single 1kWh step in one of these 5 minute intervals then I get a peak about 0,3kW in the dayly graph. But why? I get headache with these calculation. I would say the formular is 1kWh / (1/12)h but that gives 12kW, which is definitely wrong.

Another weird thing is what happens on the weekly graph. I get some "nice" step lines up and down. Shouldn't it be simply a flattened out curve just as you said. I cannot give you a picture right now, because my server is down for implementing the S0 photosensor, just as you suggested. I will implent both. So I can adjust the S0 pulse counter once a day or so to the real counter value.

Thanks
Thorsten