[smokeping-users] Showing loss more clearly

ian iguy at ionsphere.org
Wed Jun 25 15:25:20 MEST 2003

I have a site that I test with smokeping and want to know when that site
suddenly goes offline.  What I'm looking for is what do I need to put
into the config file to get it to show when a site goes offline to show
up more "clearly" in the graphs??  I've tried the uptime and loss colors
but they don't really do what I need (or I simply haven't seen any
change in the graphs.. so probably misconfigured them).

The URL is http://www.ionsphere.org/smokeping/smokeping.cgi

Ideal Scenario:

pings work fine for 6 hours
pings timeout for 2 seconds
pings work fine for 6 hours

Destination site is a static IP.

On the graph I see very clearly that there was a interruption in
service.  Background color changes, flashing lights around the time of
the outage.

An image something like the one on the main smokeping page would be
ideal with the background color changes.

Any suggestions on configuration changes are GREATLY appreciated.  I'm a
tad stumped as to where I go now.

ian