[smokeping-users] Re: Lotus Notes and Alerts

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sat Jul 15 17:18:04 MEST 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 04:01:47PM -0700, mchandler at solutions.canon.com wrote:
> Is there a probe for Lotus Notes?  Or is a ping the best I'll be able to
> get?  Is it possible to ping a port?

No probe for Notes unfortunately. And no generic TCP port 'pinger' either.
I think somebody was planning to make a hping <http://www.hping.org> probe,
but I haven't seen one yet. It wouldn't be too hard to make a simple one
in pure Perl, though...

> Also, how can you test the alerts?  Does sendmail need to be running all
> the time?

If you don't want sendmail, you can use the 'mailhost' setting to send
the mail through a smarthost with Net::SMTP.

Cheers,
Niko Tyni	ntyni at iki.fi