[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Mike Lerley mike at rentageekme.com
Sat May 17 20:20:04 CEST 2008

> Hi Mike,
>
>> Extremely annoying.  An example of the smokeping output can be seen at
>> http://www.rentageekme.com/smokeping/?target=Other.Tobeys.Tobeys -- 9AM
>> today
>> is when I switched routers.  I have been running smokeping for years
>> against
>> many different devices and have never seen fping do this.  The linksys
>> router
>> I'm pinging does have the latest version of the firmware on it; I didn't
>> test
>> fping against the older version as I did the fw update before putting it
>> into
>> service.
>
> just a question, why do you blame the messanger ... I am sure fping
> does not send different packets than before. This could mean, that
> your new router has the ability to rate-limit ping response, so it
> only answers the very first ping packet it gets and ignores the
> other ones ... I would asmume this is a configurable feature of
> your router ...

Fair enough; however, I have turned on and off all options I can find on the
router related to that sort of thing and nothing changes.  More importantly,
I can do this:

root at george:~# ping -f tobeys.gotdns.com
PING tobeys.gotdns.com (24.39.29.68) 56(84) bytes of data.
--- tobeys.gotdns.com ping statistics ---
3609 packets transmitted, 3570 received, 1% packet loss, time 47185ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 23.229/31.162/72.274/7.039 ms, pipe 6, ipg/ewma
13.078/27.893 ms

Clearly, there is no packet rate limiting in effect here...
-mike

It has removed 13226 spam emails to date.