[smokeping-users] Changing pings count

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 15:17:27 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 05:36:52PM -0700, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> [On a side note - how much data does 20 pings produce, vs 5? IMO, the
> additional load is rather small, and might not be worth messing with -
> which would solve your historical data problem too.]

So, to illustrate why I'm changing my ping times, if you navigate to
http://zen.ae7.st/smokeping/?target=TOR, you can see gaps in the praph. This is
after taking it down to 10 pings every 300 seconds. Also, it seems curl(1)
blocks, and prevents the other curl(1) probes from executing as seen in
http://zen.ae7.st/smokeping/?target=Internet. There are no gaps in the graphs
for the other probes (FPing, SSH and DNS).

So, I guess take it down to 5 pings per 300 seconds? Ideas?

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o