[mrtg-developers] Announce mrtg-2.9.0pre7
oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 2 01:43:40 MEST 2000
The last 5 days of my holidays I have spent working on mrtg ... the
result is available at mrtg-2.9.0pre7 (YES this is BETA!!!!) *)
This is probably the most significant update in 3 years ...
Large parts of the system have been rewritten from scratch and all
the documentation has been redone.
You can get this BETA (!!!!) from
Note that I am not sure if the rateup.exe included with the
NT version realy works ... I have no NT to test this on.
Please send feedback ...
and note the all new MRTG website on
But see for yourself:
From: Rainer Bawidamann <Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de>
- contrib / version 1.0p16 of 14all.cgi
From: Benoit Artuso <benoit at proxad.net>
- images did not get generated in the correct place with the
- converted all documentation to pod format and added several new
- created new mrtg homepage which links all available
- created new installation guides for unix and nt
- complete overhaul of the target parser (NOTE: it is NOT
a horrible Hack any more ... look at the code (tobi is proud)
- along with the target parser I also replaced all the snmpget
- calling Interfaces by ifNumber, Ethernet Address, IP Number or
Description are all neatly integrated in the code. No more
Horrible Hacks. Along with data polling, the Interface nubmers
get double checked. If a reconfiguration occures, mrtg
automatically gets the new configuration from the router.
- MRTG does *NOT* notice config changes on Interface Numbers
anymore. This means if you have devices which change interface
numbering do not call the interfaces into the mrtg.cfg by number
but rather by Description or by Ip.
- added new debug facility to mrtg. Different debug levels can now
be called by name. Check the beginning of the script.
- when using rrdtool, mrtg now also deals with *UNKNOWN* and non
- extracted some functionality of mrtg into an external module
called MRTG_lib.pm. This module is now used by cfgmaker and
indexmaker. For indexmaker this means that it uses the same cfg
parsing engine as mrtg proper.
- over all about 30% of mrtg got replaced by brand new and rather
- complete rewrite of cfgmaker ... try cfgmaker --help for
instructions cfgmaker can now produce config files with
interface identification by Number, Ip, Description and Ethernet
- complete rewrite of indexmaker ... the old code was broken
beyond reason. options are different in the new indexmaker. Use
indexmaker --help for help.
- added RRDs detection to configure script (--with-RRDs can be
set a path explicitly
______ __ _
/_ __/_ / / (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
/ // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286 FAX:...1517 ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker
*) tobi is running out of DVDs and CDs to listen to ...
Unsubscribe mailto:mrtg-developers-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=unsubscribe
Help mailto:mrtg-developers-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=help
More information about the mrtg-developers