[mrtg-developers] Re: mrtg 3 ... a mockup cfg file

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon May 1 06:42:32 MEST 2000

Yesterday you sent me mail regarding Re: [mrtg-developers] mrtg 3 ... a...:

*>
*>
*> Tobias -
*>
*> One of the thoughts that I have had on the entire SNMP Polling
*> process is the following.
*>
*> 1 - Possible to use SNMP-V3 for security
sure
*> 2 - Possible to use the Bulk read functions ?
yes
*> 3 - Possible to grab a whole set of OIDs rather than one at a time.
yes
*>
*> Why ?
*>
*> If have seen that for some of the switches that I monitor that
*> the SNMP processing to report the information takes a long time.
*> This is true even if there is one interface to return or a set
*> of interfaces.  Using the bulk read would allow you to gather a
*> whole set of read/write interfaces at the same time with one
*> packet. Thus cutting down on the overhead as well as the impact
*> on the switch to provide the information.
*>
*> Then the MRTG pm could decode these and call RRD to update the
*> tables with the interfaces without having to go back to the
*> switch.
*>
*> Thoughts ?

yes this is something I intend todo ... the NODE calles will simply
setup the data structures. The START command will then do all the
magic with the data ... having the argument by name scheme will
make it simple to also add new definitions to a node ...

cheers
tobi

*> Henry Steinhauer
*>