[mrtg-developers] Re: How many Routers we can poll using MRTG

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Fri Sep 29 10:46:35 MEST 2000

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Today you sent me mail regarding [mrtg-developers] Re: How many Routers we...:
> BN> > 2. If the polling doesn't finish by 5 minutes, when cron tries to start
> BN> > the second mrtg what happens.
> BN>
> BN> The new job will die and the old one will finish. With rateup, this
> BN> wasn't a big problem, but with rrdtool the graphs gets really ugly.
>
> *  can you elaborate on the 'ugly' bit ?

With rateup, an unknown value is represented by the last known value
when the graph is drawn. rrdtool uses zero instead, and the graph may
not be continuous as it will drop to zero for every unknown value.

Also, this seems to be a problem when detecting errors in the statistics.
An line with no traffic is quite usual, a line which has flatlined on,
say, 6.4Mbps, will be notices immediately. This is just psychological;
the more green the easier to spot an error. :-)

> *  you may want to use the daemon mode then the mrtg will run
>    continuously if it does not finish withing the interval

Yes, I did consider that, however a few problems arose:

- What *if* the daemon dies? (I would need to write a wrapper)
- What if the config file changes? (It does every 3 hours)

I think I had a few other points to when I chose not to run in
damon mode, but I can't remember them now. Anyway, I will re-
consider it some time when things cool down a little here.

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway