[mrtg-developers] Help on MRTG polling using MAC address

Arminder Singh m-list at pugmarks.com
Wed Aug 21 15:18:08 MEST 2002

Dear All,

First of all I would like to Greet you all...this is my first post this mailing list.

Now, the problem I'm facing is that I need to setup MRTG wherein I need to poll using MAC addresses instead of IP address.

I am having lots of Linux & Windows servers. I couldn't poll using eth0 cause then I would need to run MRTG there on each server. The problem is that IP addresses needs to be changed and keep on shifting to other server. So whenever such change occur, I need to change the MRTG configuration. Also I can't poll on switch because sometimes re-structuring needs to be done.

Now since we don't change NICs, they are the only static things which don't change. If anybody of you could guide me to any patch/hack available for MRTG which could help me solve my problem, that would be highly appreciative.

Regards

Arminder Singh