[mrtg-developers] Re: Patch with new option to not skip dead hosts

Andreas Plesner Jacobsen apj at mutt.dk
Thu Apr 10 16:02:51 MEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:29:10PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

Tobi,

> The actual idea of this funciton was, that if a whole router was
> 'offline' it would get skipped. This happens as soon as a single
> interface fails. The problem seems to be that the code does not
> distinguish between 'timeout' and 'failure message for a single
> interface'. So the patch could be even without adding an extra
> option, just having it detect propperly that the host is down.
> Because what you want to avoid at all cost is that mrtg tries to
> poll each and every interface of a deat router ...

I see three ways to solve this:

One would be to have a private %deadhost in getsnmparg()
Another would be a global %deadhost in mrtg
A third way would be to pass a reference to a global %deadhost to
getsnmparg()

Neither of these three options seem very good, though I myself like the
first one the best, but closures are quite unreadable.

What do you think?

--
Andreas Plesner Jacobsen | <dark> Knghtbrd: We have lots of whatevers.