[mrtg-developers] Re: MRTG 2.10 (fwd)

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at colitti.com
Mon Jun 2 18:45:18 MEST 2003

Simon Leinen wrote:
> RFC 2292 (and draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-09.txt, which will replace
> it at some point) also specifies a way to find out the destination
> address that had been used in a received datagram.
>
> So it looks as if with these new interfaces, it would probably be
> reatively easy to implement the required semantics.

Yes, but I wonder if these APIs are present on all platforms on which
net-snmp runs. For example, are they supported by Solaris?

> For me this is reason enough to insist on using Rafael's INET6.pm
> (1.26/1.90).  I have tried it and it doesn't seem to have that
> problem; i.e. you can call new() without a remote endpoint and get a
> socket object that can be used just as my code did for IPv4.  So the
> lenient_address_matching code (which I don't like and don't think
> *should* be necessary, but obviously it still is if you have Net-SNMP
> agents, sigh) works again.

Good! Thanks also to the fact that Masahito Omote has agreed to drop his
INET6.pm, we can switch to Rafael's version, which will (I hope) soon be
uploaded to CPAN, and will become the reference for IPv6 Perl
developers. So no more confusion. :-)

Regards,
Lorenzo