[mrtg-developers] Re: INET6 Perl module: what do we do?

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at colitti.com
Thu May 22 19:11:40 MEST 2003

Rafael Martinez Torres wrote:

> OK.
> It was exactly I would like to propose just today. I think it makes
> absolutely sense. Read below.

Ok. So, if I understand what you're saying, this is what happened:

-----------8<========

1. The original INET6.pm was developed by the Kame project as a diff
against perl 5.005 in 1999, based on Graham Barr's INET.pm. But the Kame
project has lost interest in porting Perl, and has not changed the INET6
code since.

2. This code made its way both into the Debian version of INET6.pm and
into your version.

3. Last month you contacted the perl5-porters to get your version of
INET6 into the main Perl distribution, but nobody took up your request.
Perhaps the problem is that INET6 depends on an external module, and so
cannot be included into Perl itself. You also wrote to Graham Barr, but
he said that the proper place for discussion was perl5-porters.

-----------8<========

Based on the above, it seems that we're on our own here. It seems that
the Kame project is not interested, perl5-porters are not interested,
and Graham Barr is not interested, so it is up to us to decide.

You suggest that your INET6.pm should be included in the MRTG
distribution. But is this a good idea? MRTG users would still have to
download Socket6, unless you are proposing to include that as well. And
second, whoever wants to port an application to IPv6 has to face the
same problems regarding INET6 as we are facing now (what version do I
use? where do I get it?).

Wouldn't it be better just to upload a version of INET6 to CPAN and have
everybody (MRTG users, other application developers) download it from there?

Regards,
Lorenzo