[mrtg-developers] Buffer overflow in rateup

Ulf Härnhammar Ulf.Harnhammar.9485 at student.uu.se
Thu Aug 26 21:13:51 MEST 2004

Hello,
I have discovered a potential crash bug in MRTG. The rateup
program doesn't handle really malformed log files very well. It
has an fscanf() call with two "%s" format strings that store data
of arbitrary length to char name[MAXL] arrays. This causes a crash
if the string fields in the log file are longer than that.

Despite being a buffer overflow, this is probably not a security
problem, as outsiders can't run rateup with long enough values as
far as I know. Nevertheless, I think this bug is worth fixing,
as the Right Thing for a program should be not to assume anything
about its input and to handle various problems well.

I have attached a log file that causes this problem, as well as a
patch against MRTG-2.10.15.

// Ulf Harnhammar
   http://www.advogato.org/person/metaur/

-- Type: application/octet-stream