[mrtg-developers] Re: cfgmaker reports wrong Max Speed with SNMPv2 (2.10.15)

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
Tue Nov 23 18:06:38 MET 2004

I agree that it is important not to gratuitously break something in an
effort to fix something else, and that fixing the problem at the
source rather than patching downstream is a good rule of thumb to live
by.

What I'm seeing on these cisco routers is that both ifSpeed (bits/sec)
and ifHighSpeed (Mbits/sec) are being populated.  cfgmaker looks to
see if there is a value in ifHighSpeed, and if so, scales it up and
then uses it.  If ifHighSpeed doesn't contain a value, ifSpeed is
used.  In the case of the T1 interfaces, ifSpeed contains 1544000 and
ifHighSpeed contains 2 thus cfgmaker uses 2000000.

Upon reading the if-mib's definition of ifSpeed I see that it says:

     "If the bandwidth of the interface is greater than the maximum
     value reportable by this object then this object should report
     its maximum value (4,294,967,295) and ifHighSpeed must be used
     to report the interface's speed.  For a sub-layer which has no
     concept of bandwidth, this object should be zero."

So, if SNMPv2 queries are being used, it seems reasonable for cfgmaker
to consider the values of both objects and decide the speed via logic
similar to the following:

    if ( ifSpeed < 4,294,967,295) {
        speed = ifSpeed
    } elsif ( ifHighSpeed > 0) {
        speed = ifHighSpeed * 10^6
    } else {
        speed = 0
    }

The primary rationale is to avoid using the rounded value from
ifHighSpeed when there is a more precise value in ifSpeed.  Comments?

--Larry

--
Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
952/925-0744      Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com