[mrtg-developers] Re: PATCH: Custom table support

Phil Pennock mrtg-developers at spodhuis.demon.nl
Fri Jul 21 15:33:31 MEST 2006

On 2006-07-21 at 14:52 +0200, Simon Leinen wrote:
> What I don't understand is why you even need the `TableName' - it
> should be sufficient that the `Header' and `RetrieveField' have the
> same index structure, right?

Because it's easier to find stuff by working from the TableName; there's
much less ASN.1 understanding required and my ASN.1 is ofttimes weak.

Also, it lets the <foo>.ok state dump have a label indicating namespace
so I don't need to worry about globally unique names, only relatively
unique.  (Does ASN.1 actually require global uniqueness?)

So I have an mrtg.ok which contains:
community at netapp1a-mgmt   dfTable.dfFileSys       /vol/mail/	5

> In some cases there may not even be a common table, e.g. you may want
> to refer to ifDescr (from ifTable) and retrieve ifHCInOctets (from
> ifXTable).

Are these guaranteed to use the same indexing?

If so, then yes my patch imposes too tight a constraint.  :^(
--
"Everything has three factors: politics, money, and the right way to do it.
 In that order."  -- Gary Donahue